During this evening carriage tour, you learn about the old walled city, historic churches, the Cooper River Waterfront, as well as the city’s history, and the people that make up the “Holy City.”
Daytime Group Carriage Ride – Residential District
- Child (Ages 4-11)
- Lap Child (Under Age 4)
- Private Row for 2 people
- Carriage Buyout (Up to 16 passengers)
Tour Charleston’s Rich History
Palmetto Carriage Works is the oldest carriage tour company in Charleston and has developed the greatest carriage experience in the city! A Palmetto Carriage tour offers a blend of knowledge, wit, humor, and history and is exciting and ever-changing; a seamless fusion of 19th-century conveyance in a 21st-century city. Explore our historic city on an unforgettable one-hour Charleston, SC carriage ride!
- Experience 25-30 blocks of Charleston’s historic downtown district
- See houses, gardens, mansions, churches, and parks
- Learn about buildings, history, architecture, flora, and the people that make up the “Holy City”
- Learn everything that Charleston has to offer on a Palmetto Carriage tour
- Add on a Charleston Harbor Tour and you will also:
- Explore the Charleston Harbor aboard the classic, 80-foot Carolina Belle, where you’ll hear fascinating local stories and see more than 75 landmarks.
- Add on the Plantation tour at Middleton Place and you will also:
- Explore 65 acres of formal landscaped gardens at the beautiful Middleton Place
- Experience a look at 18th and 19th century plantation life with costumed craftspeople and historic animal breeds in the Plantation Stableyards.
- Transportation to the plantation not provided
- This tour meets at the Middleton Place Plantation: 4300 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29414
- Add on the Edmondston-Alston House Tour and you will also:
- Tour the inside one of Charleston’s most beautiful and historic homes. Located on The Battery, The Edmondston Alston house is the only house museum in Charleston that commands a magnificent view of the Charleston Harbor. This home was built in 1825 and has been beautifully maintained.
- On your 30 minute guided tour you will get to see examples of Federal and Greek Revival in the public rooms and piazzas, a vast collection of the family’s silver, decorative art and antiques, many of which survived the ravages of the Civil War, the Earthquake of 1886 and numerous hurricanes.
- You will also learn the history of the home and its guests including General P.T. Beauregaurd and Robert E. Lee.
- Available House Tour Times:
- Tuesday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday and Monday 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Carriage tour does not drop off at the Edmondston Alston House and Transportation to the Edmondston Alston House is not provided.
- This tour meets at the Edmondston Alston House: 21 East Battery Charleston SC 29401
If you buy a combo with the Harbor Tour, there are no restrictions as to when you can attend the Harbor Tour. You can do it before your Palmetto Carriage Tour, the same day as your Charleston carriage tour, several days later, or even when you next return to town. Note that the Harbor Tour departs only three to four times a day and runs on a limited schedule from Thanksgiving to mid-February.