Experience 25-30 blocks of Charleston’s historic downtown district, see houses, gardens, mansions, churches & parks, learn about buildings, history, architecture, flora & the people that make up the “Holy City” on this Palmetto Carriage tour!
- Children (Ages 7-11)
- Young Children (Ages 6 and younger)
Enjoy Two Hours of History on Foot
Experience 12-15 blocks of Charleston’s historic downtown district during this walking tour and learn about our buildings, history, architecture, flora, and the people that make up the “Holy City.” This two-hour walking tour of Charleston is offered in the morning and afternoon and is one of the best introductions to the city. Come explore the Holy City with us on this fun, informative tour.
- Experience 12-15 blocks of Charleston’s historic downtown district
- Stroll by houses, gardens, mansions, churches, ironwork, & parks
- Learn about buildings, history, architecture, flora, & the people that make up the “Holy City”
- Tour the Powder Magazine, which housed the City’s gunpowder in colonial times
- Add on the Harbor Tour
- Explore the Charleston Harbor aboard the classic, 80-foot Carolina Belle, where you’ll hear fascinating local stories and see more than 75 landmarks.
- Add on the Edmondston-Alston House Tour
- Tour the inside of one of Charleston’s most beautiful and historic homes. Located on The Battery, The Edmondston Alston house is the only house museum in Charleston that commands a magnificent view of the Charleston Harbor. This home was built in 1825 and has been beautifully maintained.
- On your 30-minute guided tour, you will get to see examples of Federal and Greek Revival in the public rooms and piazzas, a vast collection of the family’s silver, decorative art and antiques, many of which survived the ravages of the Civil War, the Earthquake of 1886 and numerous hurricanes.
- You will also learn the history of the home and its guests including General P.T. Beauregard and Robert E. Lee.
- Important: Walking Tour does not end at the Edmondston Alston House and Transportation to the Edmondston Alston House is not provided. This tour meets at the Edmondston Alston House: 21 East Battery Charleston SC 29401
- Add on the Plantation tour at Middleton Place:
- Explore 65 acres of formal landscaped gardens at the beautiful Middleton Place
- Experience a look at 18th and 19th-century plantation life with costumed craftspeople and historic animal breeds in the Plantation Stableyards.
- Enjoy complimentary guided walking tours: guided garden overview, “Meet the Breeds”, “Beyond the Fields” and other additional seasonal activities and tours.
- Important: Transportation to the plantation not provided
If you buy a combo tour, there are no restrictions as to when you can attend the added tour. You can do it before your Palmetto Walking Tour, the same day as your walking tour, several days later or even when you next return to town. Note that the Harbor Tour runs on a limited schedule from Thanksgiving to mid-February.