Public Carriage Tour & Optional Combo
Explore the Architecture, History, and More in the "Holy City"
Palmetto Carriage Works is the oldest carriage tour company in Charleston and has developed the greatest carriage experience in the city! A Palmetto Carriage tour offers a blend of knowledge, wit, humor and history and is exciting and ever changing, a seamless fusion of 19th century conveyance in a 21st century city.
During the One-Hour Tour, you will:
- Experience 25-30 blocks of Charleston’s historic downtown district
- See houses, gardens, mansions, churches & parks
- Learn about buildings, history, architecture, flora & the people that make up the “Holy City”
- Learn everything that Charleston has to offer on a Palmetto Carriage tour
Tours run continuously from 9:00am-5:00pm, typically departing every 15 minutes
Add on a Charleston Harbor Tour and you will also:
- Explore the Charleston Harbor aboard the classic, 80-foot Carolina Belle, where you’ll hear fascinating local stories and see more than 75 landmarks.
Add on a Powder Magazine Tour and you will also:
- See The Powder Magazine, which housed five tons of gunpowder to protect colonial Carolina from a variety of threats.
- See one of the State’s oldest attractions (it is considered Charleston’s first preservation project).
- Take a step back in time to witness 300-year-old history firsthand.
Add on the Plantation tour at Middleton Place and you will also:
- Explore 65 acres of formal landscaped gardens at the beautiful Middleton Place
- Experience a look at 18th and 19th century plantation life with costumed craftspeople and historic animal breeds in the Plantation Stableyards.
- Enjoy complimentary guided walking tours: guided garden overview, “Meet the Breeds”, “Beyond the Fields” and other additional seasonal activities and tours.
- Transportation to the plantation not provided
- This tour meets at the Middleton Place Plantation: 4300 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29414
Add on the Edmondston-Alston House Tour and you will also:
- Tour the inside one of Charleston’s most beautiful and historic homes. Located on The Battery, The Edmondston Alston house is the only house museum in Charleston that commands a magnificent view of the Charleston Harbor. This home was built in 1825 and has been beautifully maintained.
- On your 30 minute guided tour you will get to see examples of Federal and Greek Revival in the public rooms and piazzas, a vast collection of the family’s silver, decorative art and antiques, many of which survived the ravages of the Civil War, the Earthquake of 1886 and numerous hurricanes.
- You will also learn the history of the home and its guests including General P.T. Beauregaurd and Robert E. Lee.
- Available House Tour Times:
- Tuesday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday and Monday 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Carriage tour does not drop off at the Edmondston Alston House and Transportation to the Edmondston Alston House is not provided.
- This tour meets at the Edmondston Alston House: 21 East Battery Charleston SC 29401
If you buy a combo tour, there are no restrictions as to when you can attend the added tour. You can do it before your Palmetto Carriage Tour, the same day as your carriage tour, several days later or even when you next return to town. Note that the Harbor Tour runs on a limited schedule from Thanksgiving to mid-February.